The Journal of the Society for Social Work and Research (JSSWR) Early Career Reviewer Program aims to 1) provide mentoring to early career researchers to enhance their skills as reviewers of journal manuscripts, and 2) expand the journal’s pool of qualified manuscript reviewers. The broader goal of the program is to increase involvement in, and commitment to, journal peer-review processes among early-stage researchers in social work or related disciplines.
The JSSWR Early Career Reviewer Program provides the opportunity for early-career researchers to work with mentors who have extensive publishing and editorial experience. The Society for Social Work (SSWR) and Research and JSSWR will issue an annual call for early career applicants, who will nominate a mentor during the application process. The applicant and their mentor will agree to serve as co-reviewers of up to three manuscripts each year over a 2-year period. Selected candidates will be recognized as JSSWR Early Career Reviewers at the annual SSWR conference and in the journal’s annual acknowledgment of service.
Individuals in postdoctoral appointments and appointed faculty members within 3 years of graduation are eligible to apply for the JSSWR Early Career Reviewer Program. All applicants must have a doctoral degree in social work or a related discipline. Applicants will select a mentor in advance of the application process and submit the mentor’s name and credentials as part of the application process. Mentors must have experience reviewing manuscripts and publication records that demonstrate knowledge of journal publication practices. All early career applicants and their mentors must maintain their membership in SSWR.
Mentors will provide individual guidance to early career reviewers in the preparation of reviews. Early Career Reviewers will submit completed reviews to JSSWR following the normal submission processes. Early career reviewers and mentors will together review up to three manuscripts per year over a 2-year period.
Applicants should include the following information in their submission materials:
1. Applicant’s name, position, academic rank, and CV
2. A brief statement that illustrates the applicant’s interest in becoming a JSSWR Early Career Reviewer
3. Mentor’s name, position, academic rank, CV, and a statement of commitment to co-review up to three manuscripts per year
Applications will be reviewed by a committee comprised of JSSWR associate editors and members of the SSWR Committee on Publications and SSWR Research Capacity Development Committee. Each year, the committee will recommend awardees to the JSSWR Editor-in-Chief, who will make the final selection and notify awardees.
Application Material Preparation Instructions
Please prepare your application materials as follows.
· PDF No. 1: include applicant’s name, position, academic rank, mentor’s name, and a brief statement that illustrates the applicant’s interest in becoming a JSSWR Early Career Reviewer
File name: JSSWRECRapp__ [applicant last name.applicant first name initial]
· PDF No. 2: applicant’s CV
File name: JSSWRECR_CV__ [applicant last name.applicant first name initial]
· PDF No. 3: include mentor’s name, position, academic rank, and a statement of commitment to co-review up to three manuscripts per year
File name: JSSWRECR.mentor__ [mentor last name.mentor first name initial]
Note file name: JSSWRECR.mentor_CV__ [applicant last name.applicant first name initial]
All application materials must be submitted electronically in ONE e-mail to JSSWR Managing Editor Chelsey Baker-Hauck at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Early Career Reviewer Program, [last name]” in the subject line.
Applications are due June 30, 2020.
· Applicants will be notified via e-mail of the results of the selection mid-August.
· Public acknowledgment of awards will occur during the 2021 SSWR conference awards ceremony.
· JSSWR will publish Early Career Reviewer and Mentor names in the Spring 2021 issue.