Ensure healthy development for all youth
Each year, more than six million young people receive treatment for severe mental, emotional, or behavioral problems. Strong evidence shows us how to prevent many behavioral health problems before they emerge. By unleashing the power of prevention through widespread use of proven approaches, we can help all youth grow up to become healthy and productive adults.
Hawkins, J. D., Jenson, J. M., DeVylder, J., Catalano, R. F., Botvin, G. J., Fraser, M., … Bumbarger, B. (2016, September). Policy recommendations for meeting the Grand Challenge to Ensure Healthy Development for All Youth (Grand Challenges for Social Work Initiative Policy Brief No. 1). Cleveland, OH: American Academy of Social Work & Social Welfare.
Policy Action Statement:
- Preventing Schizophrenia and Severe Mental Illness: A Grand Challenge for Social Work – Published in Journal for Research on Social Work Practice
- Unleashing the Power of Prevention published by the National Academy of Medicine.
- Unleashing the Power of Prevention Discussion Paper
- Unleashing the Power of Prevention Commentary
- Unleashing the Power of Prevention Steering Committee and Coalition Members
- Information about Unleashing the Power of Prevention and the Coalition for the Promotion of Behavioral Health
Coalition Activities for the Promotion of Behavioral Health:
Editorial in The New York Times. An editorial by Coalition member and founder of the Life Skills Training prevention program, Gilbert J. Botvin, appeared recently in the New York Times
Get Involved in the Coalition!
Four working committees have been established to identify, lead, and conduct tasks necessary to meet the goals and action steps identified in Unleashing the Power of Prevention. The Coalition needs your help! Please consider becoming involved in one of our four committees:
Expanding the Membership Base and Reach of the Coalition
J. David Hawkins, PhD, Chair, University of Washington
Workforce Development: Preparing Practitioners for Prevention
Kimberly Bender, PhD, Co-Chair, University of Denver
Valerie Shapiro, PhD, Co-Chair, University of California at Berkeley
Dissemination of Unleashing the Power of Prevention
Jeffrey M. Jenson, PhD, Chair, University of Denver
Securing Funding to Advance the Goals of Unleashing the Power of Prevention
Richard Catalano, PhD. Chair, University of Washington